Sunday, July 24, 2016

Choosing Joy

A few days ago I took my 3 year old “granddaughter” P to a local water splash pad. It was 90 degrees and the sun was scorching hot. I thought a water splash pad would be a great way to make the best of the heat.

P was so excited about playing in the water but really wasn’t sure what to expect at the idea of it. Being really unsure on the cold water spraying out of the strange contraptions on the splash pad, she stood back and watched for about 10 minutes then decided to try it by going in just a little bit at a time. Eventually she was all about it and all over the splash pad. My 3 year old princess was having the time of her life.

As the laughter and screams are coming from P’s happiness, I noticed an elderly gentleman having a serious conversation with my son.

I worked my way over to them and struck up a conversation with this man. He was excited to tell me about his autistic son who was in the middle of the splash pad giving each spraying station a try. As he told me about his son, his sunburnt face lit up.  He told me how it has been an adventure of being loved and appreciated like never before. His autistic son knew how to love his daddy unconditionally, without reservation.

I shared a little bit of my story with him and he did the typical apology of “I’m sorry, it must be hard.” This sparked a discussion of perspective.

We all have challenges handed to us in our lifetime.

We all, at some point, fall into the category of “I don’t understand what God is doing here. All I know is that it hurts.” 

This man with very little hair except the snow white full beard and mustache shared some of his story with me. He’s been through some tough times that I wouldn’t want to go through myself. He now has this beautiful son who loves him without any conditions.

How we respond to the challenges that are in front of us is up to you and me. Not anyone else.

Do we choose to respond with anger or frustration? 

Do we let it turn us into a bitter person? I have to admit that I’ve had time of needing to confess bitterness because of a situation. I allowed it to enter my heart and mind. It made me a miserable person in so many ways. It wasn’t worth it.

Will you choose expectation? Expectation of what God is going to do in and with your challenge.

Will you let God do what he wants and needs to do in and through you?  There is so much potential of goodness in your situation. What is God doing?

I watched P being a bit apprehensive in the randomly spraying water that she was encouraged to play in and find joy in. Eventually she did find complete joy in it all.

This is so much of what we should be choosing. Choose joy in the midst of what life hands you. Even when we don’t understand it or it isn’t something that we would choose for ourselves, there can be some joy in it. The daddy of a special son found the joy in it. He is loved and accepted like no one else in his life.

It will be a matter of time until the joy becomes a reality.


What will you choose?

No comments: