Monday, June 27, 2011

The Misunderstood Introvert

I've always been an introvert. 
It's simply the way God created me. 
It's not something that I've always liked about me. 
It's something that I've come to appreciate about myself.


I've been misunderstood many times because of being an introvert. I've been called rude, arrogant and shy. I've even described myself to be a shy person. I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm not a shy person. I do talk to people that I don't know, just not always when others think I should.

I've never described myself as rude or arrogant. I think I'm anything but that. As an introvert, if I don't feel comfortable talking to someone I simply won't at times, although sometimes I do. I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone else.

For the past few months I've been working through the reality of being an introvert and what it's like to be one. I'm surrounded by extroverts who don't understand me at times. I've come to a point of accepting how God created me ... an introvert ... sometimes an "extreme introvert". I actually like this part of me now. It feels good. I don't feel like I have to be someone I'm not. I don't need to please anyone else anymore. This is who I am and I'm ok with that. I'm comfortable in my own skin.

I don't mind being alone ... for hours, even days. Extroverts think I'm weird but I actually prefer solitude many times. It's completely draining for me to be with a lot of people for long periods of time.
I'm very comfortable with only a few close friends in my life. I don't need a lot of friends or people around me to make me happy.
I enjoy deep conversations. Rambling and small talk can be annoying at times. What's the point? I like conversations that are meaningful, even life-changing. More than anything, I enjoy God-conversations!
I don't talk much. If I don't have anything important to say, why say anything?
I'm said to be a good listener. You need someone to listen to you without needing anything to be fixed or changed? I'm willing to let you get it off of your mind. 
I am a thinker. Most of the time I think before I speak. If I'm not talking, I'm thinking and processing something important to me.
I value quality time with my husband and children, my family and my close friends.

So a few days ago I found this link on another Pastor's wife's blog. It describes me to a T. This affirmed in me again that it's not a bad thing to be an introvert. Many times it's a very good thing. Enjoy the article...
Caring for Your Introvert

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awhh yes Rose the world needs more people who get energy from silence! Im glad you are learning to appreciate the way God made you to be.:)